How to solve the problem of uneven cutting?
Optical fiber cutter is a tool used to cut optical fiber, but in the cutting process, there may be uneven cutting edge or lack of fiber core and broken core. What is the reason?
The blade is too high: the treatment measure is to adjust and reduce the height.
The upper and lower pressing pads do not match: the treatment measures are to replace the pressing pad, adjust the position of the upper pressing plate and the high and low position of the magnet.
The sliding block swings or does not become horizontal: the treatment measures are adjustment or replacement.
Blade aging: the measure is to replace the cutting end face of the blade or replace the blade.
- To keep excellent cleaving quality, cleaning must be performed after use.
- Clean the blade edge, the rubber pad of the clamp and the anvil with a cotton swab moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
Clean the fiber holder receptacle and the grooves of the single fiber adapter, too.
l Dust on the blade edge or the clamp might cause loss of cleaving performance or poor quality of fiber end face.
l Do not clean them with any other kind of chemicals.
l If the top clamp lever is closed leaving an off-cut fiber on the damp, the rubber pad of the clamp will have a trace of the fiber, causing loss of cleaving performance or poor quality of fiber end face.
Blade position change
As the number of the cleaver's increases, a symptom that fiber cannot be cleaved or cracks will occur. If such symptom continues to appear, the blade position is worn out. Rotate the blade according to the following procedures and use a new blade position.[Reference] 1,000 fibers per position.
- Loosen the blade setscrew. Note that the blade setscrew is a slotted screw.
- Rotate the blade to the next position by pressing its side or edge with a cotton swab. Rotate the blade in the direction indicated by the arrow.
l Do not rotate the blade with hands.
l Do not rotate the blade with metallic tweezers. Doing so may damage the blade.
- Tighten the blade setscrew. [Reference] Optimum torque: Approx. 0.98N-m (10kgfem).
l Do not over-tighten the blade setscrew. The screw will get worn out.
- Try and cleave the fiber. Make visual check of the fiber end face with the splicer. If the fiber end face is poor, adjust the blade height. (Refer to "Blade height adjustment.)
Blade height adjustment
- Loosen the 2 cross head screws.
- Loosen the blade height locking screw.
- Place a mechanical pencil lead or a light stick on the clamps. Slide the blade carriage back and forth and turn the blade height adjustment screw.
l To make the blade higher, turn the blade height adjustment screw clockwise.
l To make the blade lower, turn the blade height adjustment screw anti-clockwise. (Turn the screw while pushing the blade down with a cotton swab.)
l To make the blade lower, turn the blade height adjustment screw anti-clockwise, while pushing the blade down with a cotton swab.
- Turn the blade height adjustment screw clockwise by more 4 to 6 marks from the reference point.
l Do not make the blade too high. Doing so will damage the anvil and increases the chipped fiber ends.
- Tighten the blade height locking screw. [Reference] Optimum torque: Approx. 0.59N・m (6kgf，cm)
- Tighten the 2 cross head screws. [Reference] Optimum torque: Approx. 0.98N,m (10kgf・cm)
(0: If you have bought the fiber cleaver with off-cut collector, please remove it first.)
- Unscrew the blade setscrew.
- Remove the blade with tweezers.
l The edge of a blade is manufactured precisely. If the edge is hit against metallic objects, it will crack, resulting in poor cleaving performance. Handle with care.
l When using metallic tweezers, be careful not to damage the blade.
l Do not touch the blade with hands. Use gloves.
l Dispose of the old blade properly.
- Insert a new blade in the cleaver so that "1” of the number sticker is in the top position. The hole of the blade should be aligned with the hole of the blade receptacle.
- Tighten the blade setscrew completely, while pressing the side of the blade. [Reference] Optimum torque: Approx. 0.98N・m (lOkgf-cm)
- Adjust the blade height, referring to “Blade height adjustment”.
If the cleaving problem occurs, the followings are possible causes.
Problem: The fiber is placed obliquely in the cleaver.
Cause: Make sure that the fiber is placed straight in the cleaver.
Problem: The blade height is too high.
Cause: Adjust the blade height.
Problem: Dust or dirt remains on the clamp.
Cause: Clean the clamp.
Problem: Dust or dirt remains on the blade.
Cause:Clean the blade.
Problem: Dust or dirt remains on the fiber.
Cause: Remove the fiber coating and clean the bare fiber again.
If the problem still persists, please contact the maintenance service center.